Family Timeline

1849 - 1900

1849 December 19, Henry Clay Frick is born.
1859 December 16, Adelaide Howard Childs is born.
1880 Henry Clay Frick takes his first trip to Europe.
1881 December 15, Henry Clay Frick marries Adelaide Howard Childs.

1881

Henry Clay Frick makes his first art acquisitions: Woodland Stream by George Hetzel (1826–1889) and At the Louvre (Une Révélation) by Luis Jiménez Y Aranda (1845–1928).

1882 August, Henry Clay Frick purchases “Homewood,” an Italianate-style home, east of Pittsburgh, built in the late 1860s and renames it “Clayton.” Interior and exterior changes are made through 1883 under the direction of Pittsburgh architect Andrew Peebles.
1883 January 29, family moves into Clayton. The property includes a stable and a greenhouse.
1883 March 12, Childs Frick is born.
1885 August 9, Martha Howard Frick is born.
1885 Henry Clay Frick begins art collecting in earnest. Much of his earlier collecting focuses on French landscape painters of the Barbizon school, including Dessous de Bois (The Forest Floor) by Théodore Rousseau (1812–1867), which hangs in the parlor in Clayton.
1888 September 3, Helen Clay Frick is born.
1891-92 Extensive interior and exterior changes are made to Clayton to expand the house, under the direction of Pittsburgh architect Frederick J. Osterling. Two floors are added and the original home is enclosed with an enlarged floor plan after the style of a Loire Valley château. As it stands today, Clayton is the result of this expansion, with the exception of the enclosed porch, completed in 1899.
1891 July 25, Martha Howard Frick dies at Cresson, Pennsylvania, after a long illness.
1892 July 1, the Homestead Steel Strike begins.
1892 July 8, Henry Clay Frick, Jr. is born.
1892 July 23, anarchist Alexander Berkman attempts to assassinate Henry Clay Frick at his office in the Frick Building.
1892 August 3, Henry Clay Frick, Jr. dies suddenly at Clayton.
1897 Old greenhouse is razed and a new one is built in its place by Pittsburgh architects Alden & Harlow, who also build a Playhouse, which today serves as the Frick Art & Historical Center Visitors’ Center.

Go to: 1901 - 1960